Built in the 1850's, the Coal Drops were for receiving and sorting coal as it arrived from the north of England by train, and is now home to 50 stores, restaurant and cafes.
The most complex feature is the new ‘kissing ribbon’ truss roof, made up of twenty bespoke tubular modules, which were sub-assembled on the ground into eight modules for construction. Support to the roof during constriction was provided by twelve temporary trestles. The new roof provides a continuation of the existing slate roof and will connect the East and West Coal Drops at upper level via a suspended floor.
Scope of works: